Giving Permission and AllowingJanuary 2, 2019
Well, the holidays have come and gone… and the new year well is under way. You’ve just experienced one of the busiest times of the year… a time loaded with extra food, shopping, gifts & social engagements… and more. January is a great time to clear out old stagnant energy and create a new foundation for the year to come. And it is a great time for a little self care.
For your body:
- Drink a glass of water mixed with juice from half a lemon first thing in the morning. That’s before the coffee, or anything else! It’s really good for the liver, helps with detoxification and elimination, and is alkalizing for the blood. Another option is to juice 1/2 a head of celery. It’s full of vitamins and minerals and will help with everything mentioned above. It’s recommended that you leave 30 minutes before eating or drinking (anything other than water).
- S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Some simple stretching or yoga postures help to release toxins from the joints and stagnant areas. This is especially good after waking in the morning or after sitting for extended periods of times. 5 minutes is sufficient. 10 minutes is better. 20 minutes is excellent.
- Take an Epsom salt bath. Use 1 -2 cups of Epsom salts in a tub of warm water (not hot), or mix 1 cup of salts with 1/2 cup of baking soda. It’s a great detox, plus relaxes the body and eases stress. The salts are rich in magnesium, which is absorbed by the skin as you soak. Sit for 10 – 20 minutes. You can some essential oils if you like—try 10 drops of juniper and 5 drops of cypress for added detox.
For your environment:
- Pick one area of your space and declutter. We accumulate so many things, so much of which we barely use or barely pay attention to. Energetically, all this stuff feels like extra baggage. Don’t know where to start? A drawer in your desk, your bathroom vanity, your spice cabinet, your sock drawer… anywhere. Don’t start with your most daunting clutter. Gain some momentum first. Move up to your filing cabinet, your closet or your pantry. You will be surprised how good it feels to release all those old things that energetically weigh you down.
- Tackle your inbox. Still have emails from 2012? Your computer comes with a great cleaning tool – the delete key! Save the emails that are useful and let the old ones go. Organize the ones you want and need to keep. If this task feels daunting, pick a number and delete that number of emails every day until the task is done.
When you start to detox the areas that are holding on to stagnant energy, you will be amazed at how much lighter and freer you feel, whether that is your physical body or your space. It can free your mind, your spirit and your energy!